Single Family Dwelling
Four Bedrooms ~ One and One Half Bathrooms
Approx. 1260 sq. ft. + Half Basement
Built: 1943 - 1945
The G-house is two stories with a basement. Interior floors are hardwood oak with linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom. This spacious 4 bedroom Richland area home is perfect for the growing family.
This G-house is part of the letter houses developed in the Tri-Cities. Spokane architect Albin Pherson was hired by the US Government to develop the housing to accommodate the large need for housing in the area. Mr. Pherson took on the challenge and in less than 90 days the community of Richland was planned on paper. As quickly as the planning endeavor happened, the paper to reality took even less time. On March, 20, 1943, construction of the streets began. One month later on April, 28th, the first house house (a B house) was completed.
The letter houses' interiors used sheetrock instead of the older lath and plaster method that was common until the late 1930s. The interiors of all the letter-houses had wood floors. The duplexes and the U and V houses (precuts) used softwood fir floors and the single-family homes used hardwood oak. The kitchens and bathrooms had real linoleum flooring (pressed cork processed with linseed oil). Interior decorative features include cornice details along with molding strips along the outside corners of walls. The interior doors on the older homes had two (or more) flat panels of solid wood surrounded by a border of thicker, molded solid wood (hollow core doors were a few decades away). Later doors typically had a single panel of wood inside of the thicker surround. Doorknobs were fairly close to today's standard but were slightly smaller. Brass was a common finish with plated chrome used inside of bathrooms.
|“A” House||“K” House||“U” House|
|“B” House||“L” House||“V” House|
|“C” House||“M” House||“Y” House|
|“D” House||“Q” House||“Z” House|
|“E” House||“R” House||1 BR Prefab|
|“F” House||“S” House||2 BR Prefab|
|“G” House||"T" House||3 BR Prefab|